Contributed by Julie Castle
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups brown, long cooking rice
- 6 bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 2 – 4 cans salad shrimp, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 2 bunches of scallions, sliced with some green
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup French or Catalina salad dressing mixed with 1 – 3 soy sauce
- Cook bacon until crisp, then crumble; set aside
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp of bacon grease from pan
- Brown UNCOOKED brown rice in bacon drippings.
- Add bouillon cubes to rice with water.
- Bring to a boil, turn to down to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice absorbs all liquid.
- Cool the cooked rice spread out on a tray.
- Mix prepared vegetables to cooled rice along with shrimp and crumbled bacon
- Dress with dressing and chill until serving
- When browning the rice, keep it moving around, watch closely because it goes from just right to burned to ruin in an eye-blink. It will begin to pop and show bits of white like puny puffed rice cereal when done.
- When adding water to the browned rice, it will steam up instantly, be careful to avoid steam burn.
- This is a good salad to make the day before, or prep the rice two days before then prep the salad the day before serving, adding the dressing the day you’ll be serving the salad.
- This seems labor intensive—after you make it once it will be a piece of cake and it may become your “go to” salad for pot lucks as it makes so much and is enjoyed by all (who don’t have shellfish allergy!)