Contributed by Julie Castle…these are my “go to” Sunday morning muffins (See Substitutions page RE: Sugar)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar (I use 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp for sprinkling on top with excellent results)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup lightly salted butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or ¼ cup egg substitute)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease 12 standard muffin cups, or line with cupcake liners
- Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl
- In another container mix cooled butter, milk, egg, and vanilla
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in liquid mixture. Mix together with fork just until mixed.
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups (I use a 2-inch scoop)
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops of the muffins. (I use 2Tbsp vanilla sugar)
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden on top and cake tester inserted in center comes out clean
- The recipe also calls for 1/2 cup walnuts, add them with blueberries if you want them.
- These freeze well.